POET BILLY LAMONT BIO
Billy Lamont is an American poet with an avant-garde approach to writing, music, politics and performance art. At the heart of his poetry is the passion to inspire hope and to be a voice for everyday people. His unique vision for poetry into the 21st century, combined with a belief in the power of words for creation, reformation and healing brought his influence from grassroots to national success in the 1990s and then international recognition in the 2000s. His poems encourage dignity, uphold life and have been a catalyst for many people, inside and outside of society, to live in a more loving way and to feel for different justice causes for the first time to help with personal and social reform.
1.1 The Early Years 1988–1993
1.2 Success In America 1994-1996
1.3 Into The 21st Century 1997-1999
1.4 International Recognition 2000- 2004
1.5 Strobe Light Generation 2005- 2007
1.6 The Other Perspective 2008- 2012
1.7 Beyond Babylon 2013- Present
2 Publications and Discography
2.1 Compilation Appearances
3 Poetry For Charities/Social Work/Justice Organizations
5 Reference Links 6 External links
The Early Years 1988–1993
Billy Lamont grew up in North Babylon, Long Island, New York. He first received national exposure on the syndicated Religion and Rock radio show as the lead singer and lyricist for the alternative rock band Walk On Water in 1988. Religion and Rock was recorded in Babylon, NY at the popular classic rock station WBAB. Lamont was invited on the show by the host Monsignor Tom Hartman, as an outgrowth of their friendship which developed when Lamont volunteered and then worked behind the scenes at Telecare, Catholic Diocese Television Station. Walk On Water's music video A Game Of Chess With Love received airplay on various cable television shows in the Northeast of the U.S. in 1989. Lamont also did his first poetry reading in 1988 at a homeless people dinner in Greenwich Village, NY and further readings with music in 1989. Lamont's first chapbook Eulogy: Flowers For the Living was released in 1990 and created a buzz in the poetry and alternative music subculture giving Lamont the beginnings of a following in the Northeast of the U.S. In 1990 Lamont and songwriter/guitarist Bill Poulos experimented with poetry and early industrial music in Lamont's apartment. This led them to play with a local heavy metal musician Klayton, and play for him some records from electronic music pioneers for the first time, including Skinny Puppy who would become Klayton's biggest influence as he began his career as an innovative recording artist. Lamont and Poulos collaborated with Klayton on an electronic music track the poet's eye prior to Klayton's success in the band Circle Of Dust, Argyle Park and now Celldweller. Klayton said that Billy Lamont's poetry is intriguing. He is experimental, philosophical and spiritual. His message of hope cannot be ignored. Eulogy: Flowers For The Living and Lamont's live performances with Bill Poulos created enough of a stir to have him featured on the nationally syndicated Joe Franklin television show on January 9, 1991. Joe Franklin said on the television show that Lamont's poetry and music is in the tradition of Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith and Jim Carroll and that he loves it. Lamont organized charity event performances for Long Island Cares in the summers of 1991 and 1992. Long Island Cares provides emergency food assistance in Long Island, New York and was founded by the late folk singer Harry Chapin. Lamont also went on a mission to the Ukraine with a group sent out from Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle, Long Island in the summer of 1992. As part of the group Lamont handed out 10,000 Holy Bible's, prayed with approximately 2,500 people to become followers of Jesus Christ for the first time, formed a church, visited orphans in a prison and visited kids suffering from radiation from the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Disaster.
Success In America 1994-1996
By 1994 the success of Lamont's first above ground, full length book of poems The Gallery Of Light distributed by Ingram brought him greater national attention and audience in the U.S. This led to Lamont doing book signings in shopping malls at such stores as B. Dalton Booksellers, Waldenbooks and Barnes & Noble and also touring with the rock tour Lollapalooza 1994 in the Poetry Tent side stage. Dave Kendall, Host of MTV's 120 Minutes show, said that Billy Lamont is in possession of a strange and compelling vision when the book was released. Lamont appeared on MTV's Most Wanted Show with the VJ Kennedy on July 6, 1994. He would perform multiple dates on Lollapalooza side stages The Lab and Booty Camp again in 1995 and 2003. Lamont performed at the annual Thanksgiving Dinner for Homeless People at Love And Mercy Church, Bay Shore, NY for the first time in 1994 and has done this every year through the present. In his career as a Professional Poet so far Lamont has performed for audiences of up to 10,000 people.
Into The 21st Century 1997-1999
In 1997 Lamont performed his groundbreaking and influential forty minute spoken word rock opera the gallery of light, which evolved out of the book of the same name, for the first time. In 1998 Lamont's first CD Into The 21st Century was released. This CD was a benefit for Teen Challenge and helped grow his international audience that had begun for his poetry in 1994. Teen Challenge is a non-profit residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation program founded by Pastor David Wilkerson of The Cross And The Switchblade fame. Lamont recited poetry from Into The 21st Century on Much Music Television in Toronto, Canada in May 1999. The late Poet Allen Ginsberg showed love and support for Lamont's work by reciting from his legendary poem Howl on Into The 21st Century. Lamont also received great inspiration and enlightenment from collaborating with one of his biggest inspirations Mike Peters of The Alarm on Into The 21st Century. Lamont had first performed with Mike Peters in 1995 at New York's Randall's Island at the rock tour Lollapalooza's side stage The Lab. Lamont would also perform with Mike Peters on several east and west coast dates in this time period. Mike Peters said that there's no truth like the truth you dare to let yourself see. Billy Lamont's poetry lets you see the truth of himself and the truth that surrounds him which is also the truth that surrounds you. Take a look and you will find love, hate, all life in it. Lamont spotlighted Voice Of The Martyrs organization and persecution of followers of Jesus Christ internationally during most of his television and radio interviews and CD release parties in this time period. Lamont performed in the art gallery of Purple Door Festival for the first time in 1999. He would perform the entire the gallery of light in the art gallery at Purple Door in 2000 and perform once again in 2001. Lamont also did several special poetry recitals at rest homes for the elderly on Long Island, New York.
International Recognition 2000- 2004
Lamont helped concert goers feel empathy and sign petitions for various international and national justice causes in this time period. In 2000, Lamont organized and performed a concert for Jubilee 2000 at The Knitting Factory and was credited by Jubilee 2000 Co-Founder Seydina A. Senghor and Jubilee 2000 Spokesperson Jamie Drummond as being a catalyst for the New York region for Jubilee 2000, when the world’s biggest petition ever was gathered. Seydina A. Senghor said that Billy Lamont is a true activist. Whether Lamont is protesting, serving or encouraging, his poetry and deeds are songs of hope, a catalyst for change that reveal a grassroots heart of caring and love for people from the streets of New York to the poor and impoverished of the world. This led to Lamont becoming a Board Member for Jubilee USA/International Movement through today. Lamont helped petition for a debt free start for impoverished nations so they could have money for food, water, healthcare, sanitation and education rather than paying back loans to the world's richest nations. Jubilee 2000 and associated causes were championed by Bono of U2, President Bill Clinton, Nelson Mandella and Bill Gates and would evolve into DATA and The One Campaign. DATA and The One Campaign would campaign on behalf of those suffering with Aids in Africa. Lamont's international recognition grew in this time period. Also in 2000, Lamont recited on behalf of Jubilee USA at The People's Summit Protest at Dag Hammerskjold Plaza outside of the Untied Nations during the UN Millenium Summit. Lamont recited poems of comfort for the families of the World Trade Center Tragedy on Sunday, September 16, 2001 at Union Square in New York City. Lamont did a benefit performance for one family affected by the tragedy on October 11, 2001 at the Arlenes Grocery venue in New York City. Lamont gave his first poetry recitals for elementary school student assemblies at Langston Hughes Elementary School in Harlem, New York in this time period. Lamont would slow down a lot in the 2000s to spend time with and raise his son Zion Lamont born in August 2000 as his priority. In July 2003, Lamont toured the NorthEast of U.S., representing Jubilee USA with Jubilee 2000 co-founder Seydina A. Senghor, at the Lollapalooza World Of Just BeCauses tent. Lamont would also use his gift of poetry to recite at the Booty Camp stage at the Lollapalooza dates on behalf of justice organizations he supported like Jubilee USA/International, Witness, Amnesty International, Compassion International, Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund, Voice Of The Martyrs and many others. This helped concert goers feel for various justice causes for the first time and sign petitions for these causes. In 2003 Lamont's poetry was published in an anthology book of poetry and visual art entitled Hysteria that was a benefit for MADRE. MADRE is an organization that helps woman gain mental and emotional health. In the early 2000s Lamont wrote and rehearsed a CD for The legendary Father Of Christian Rock Larry Norman's Solid Rock Record Label. The late Larry Norman backed Lamont by having him open some of his shows and made a promise to Lamont in 1998 that he would release a Billy Lamont album with a rock band he would form called Billy Lamont with The Remission. Lamont was elated and inspired when Larry Norman rushed Billy Lamont with The Remission into the studio on Long Island and produced a few songs for them, the day after The Knitting Factory show that featured Larry Norman and Billy Lamont. Sadly Norman fell ill in 2001. The recording sessions and album would never be completed with the studio tapes gone missing in Norman's vaults of archived material. Larry Norman said that Billy Lamont walks with grace among the literary traditions of romanticism, between yearning idealism and stark urban reality. He brings Heaven closer to Earth, and beckons men closer to self revelation. In 2004, Lamont released a CD billy lamont with the peculiar people as a benefit for Larry Norman's emergency healthcare and performed at Cornerstone Festival at the Gallery stage opening for the rock band The Alarm to raise awareness about Norman's emergency healthcare needs. Also in 2004 Lamont opened some shows and joined Steven Delopoulos and Johnny Philippidis of Burlap To Cashmere on stage in Philadelphia and New York.
Strobe Light Generation 2005- 2007
In 2005, Lamont released a book of poems entitled strobe light generation. He was encouraged by legendary Poet/Activist/Jesuit Priest Daniel Berrigan during this time period. Daniel Berrigan said that he is thankful for the delightful strobe light generation book. Berrigan said that Lamont is a rare bird indeed, and a dazzling one, bringing together unassailable gifts and a phoenix (out of the culture’s ashes) faith. In 2006, Lamont released painkiller and performed at Cornerstone Festival again, this time at the HM Magazine side stage. Lamont served as a Board Of Trustees Member for the Walt Whitman Birthplace, a New York State Historic Site, from 2005-2007 to help preserve the legacy of America's greatest Poet. In 2006, Lamont brought together the owners of the alternative radio station Radio X with Pastor Richard Anderson. This became the birth of WLIX , Long Island, New York’s first Christian FM radio network in 2007. WLIX- The Voice Of Hope is now one of Long Island’s largest commercial FM radio networks. In 2007, Lamont attended the first Love Hope Strength Organization event, on the top floor of the Empire State Building, to show his support for co-founder Mike Peters of The Alarm and those fighting cancer. Lamont would spotlight Love Hope Strength and also The One Campaign at his poetry recitals in this time period. Prior to this Lamont had also showed support for his friend Daniel Fazzina that was diagnosed with cancer and given three months to live. Lamont had organized and performed in a benefit show for Fazzina, who did not have medical benefits, at a local Long Island theater in 2003. When Daniel Fazzina was healed a few months later he wrote a book entitled Divine Intervention that featured a chapter by Lamont and was published in 2007. Divine Intervention became a syndicated radio show hosted by Daniel Fazzina as well and featured Lamont on episode 7 in April 2008. During the interview Lamont said that this was the most intimate interview about his faith and being a follower of Jesus The Christ that he has ever given due to his friendship with Fazzina. Peter Garrett, front man from the rock band Midnight Oil and Australia's Federal Member for Kingsford Smith, Minister for Environment Protection, Heritage and the Arts, said that Lamont's pithy, ‘now’ poetry is true, from his heart to ours, a straight line and a truth that’s good to read. Garrett said that he wishes there was more like it.
The Other Perspective 2008- 2012
In 2008, Lamont formed The Other Perspective Media as an independent outlet for his new releases. In 2008-2010 Lamont released four new CD's entitled hedge of thorns, the gallery of light, renegade of hope and outlaw of love. Lamont who shares Joint Custody of his son Zion, since 2006, continued to raise Zion as his first priority. In 2009 Lamont gave his first in the classroom Poetry Workshop for Zion's third grade class in Smithtown, NY. In 2010, Lamont spotlighted Wings As Eagles Ministries at his poetry reading in support of native American Indians. In October 2011 Lamont gave several poetry recitals to encourage the Occupy Wall Street movement patriots at Liberty Square, in New York. Lamont performed at St. Marks Poetry Project New Year’s Day Poetry Marathon Benefit on January 1, 2012. He first recited at the New Year’s Day Marathon in 2007. In September 2012 Lamont recorded the poetry for a new poetry with music CD entitled Beyond Babylon in his hometown of Babylon, NY. While Lamont was at home in Babylon, NY in October 2012, Babylon, as well as surrounding towns were severely affected by Hurricane Sandy. Lamont extended practical helps, as well as recited the new poetry for the Hurricane Sandy victims and workers including FEMA, Red Cross, Firemen and church workers.
Beyond Babylon 2013- Present
Beyond Babylon, a new CD/digital release of Poet Billy Lamont's post modern, Dadaist, performance poetry with electronic, Americana and experimental music was released internationally on October 2, 2013. Beyond Babylon is distributed through most major distributors like Amazon and iTunes internationally. Lamont celebrated it's release a few days later on October 5th with a post modern 1960's-like Happening on three levels of Historic Babylon Town Hall, the basement 1800's jail cells, main floor museum and upstairs art gallery, that is the home of Babylon Council For The Arts (BACCA.) This non-profit performance art event with Lamont performing Beyond Babylon in it's entirety was dedicated to the victims of Hurricane Sandy in his hometown of Babylon, NY as well as surrounding towns of West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Copaigue and Amityville all in the same township. In Attendance at Lamont's invitation was Project Hope, a FEMA organization to offer counseling to any suffering victims of Hurricane Sandy that may be in attendance. A few days prior to Beyond Babylon's release Lamont was a guest on Paula Curci's radio show Calliope's Corner on Hofstra University Radio to do an interview and World Premiere the new album through the internet. This episode of the radio show would win an award from Long Island Press Club for Artistic Radio in 2014. Billy Lamont's books of poetry are currently available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble. In this time period Lamont continued Poetry Workshops in the classroom for Middle School Students including P J Gerlinas Middle school and Plainedge Middle School in Suffolk and Nassau Counties of NY. Lamont's Poetry Workshops have had great success in helping the students reach New York State English Language Arts Standards (ELA) while encouraging the individual student's dignity in support of NY State's Dignity Act. In the workshops Lamont is also inspiring new empathy, wisdom and imagination in the students using his poetry, as well as the diversity of Poet's poetry throughout the ages, in different cultures and subcultures, to help the student's gain an understanding of people different from themselves. Lamont teaches tolerance and empathy for others to help with anti-bullying in schools. On May 24, 2014 Poet Billy Lamont performed a poem he had written against Genetically Modified Organisms and poisons in our food supply by the company Monsanto to kick off a March Against Monsanto event at Union Square in New York City. March Against Monsanto was a national/international event that had 1 million people march globally. On June 1, 2014 Poet Billy Lamont gave an in-store multimedia performance, including poetry, music and film, and a CD signing of Beyond Babylon at Looney Tunes Records, NY's number one Independent Records store. The Looney Tunes event and performance was dedicated to the still suffering victims of Hurricane Sandy in the local area. Special guests on the Beyond Babylon album include Steven Delopoulos, frontman of Burlap To Cashmere, that made an alum on Sony Records in 2013 and the legendary industrial/electronic music pioneer Blackhouse. On August 5, 2014 Lamont's story of a Thanksgiving miracle healing of a serious pancreas condition he had when he was a young man, was featured in a chapter of Talk Show Host Daniel Fazzina's latest book Divine Intervention: 50 True Stories of God's Miracles Today, that was published by the major publisher Charisma House. Billy Lamont collaborated on Mike Peters of The Alarm's CD/digital download recording The Scriptures release in October 2014, that has been awarded the Guiness World Record for the 'Longest Officially Released Song Of All Time.' The Scriptures was recorded to help foster peace in the Holy Land of Israel and as a benefit for the Love Hope Strength Organization and those fighting cancer. Lamont began writing a poem at John Lennon's Childhood home in Liverpool, England for a a Peace Protest entitled 'A Protest Of All Future Wars Before They Have Even Begun,' in January 2014, that Peace Protest was continued with an online event on Facebook, and this poem was recorded by Mike Peters of The Alarm in Times Square, NYC in August 2014 and ended up being a major part of Mike Peters' recording The Scriptures.This recording was completed at Abbey Road Studios, Studio B in London, where John Lennon and The Beatles recorded many of their albums including Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The poem was written in four parts, I- a table, II- hypocrisy 666, III- spiritual orphans, IV- I BELIEVE DREAM PEACE and Mike Peters used it to usher in the four parts of this recording with a musical and lyrical movement much like an opera.
Publications and Discography
* Walk On Water (1988 alternative rock band demo tape)
* Eulogy: Flowers For The Living (1990 poetry chapbook)
* The Gallery Of Light (1994 book of poetry, National Post Modern Publishing, Ingram U.S. distributor)
* eulogy: flowers for the living (1995 poetry with music demo tape, included Klayton The Poet's Eye pre-Circle Of Dust recording from 1991)
* Into The 21st Century (1998 poetry with music CD, benefit for Teen Challenge, included the late Allen Ginsberg and Mike Peters of The Alarm, National Post Modern Publishing, The Orchard, Amazon.com)
* billy lamont with the peculiar people (2003 activism poetry chapbook for Lollapaooza Tour with 2004 CD attached, benefit for Larry Norman Emergency Healthcare, The Orchard, Amazon.com, iTunes, 2011 CD re-release The Other Perspective Media)
* strobe light generation (2005 book of poetry, Infinity Publishing, Amazon.com)
* painkiller (2006 poetry with music CD, Mannequin Oddio Media/KultureShift Music, cdbaby.com)
* hedge of thorns (2008 poetry with music CD, The Other Perspective Media, KultureShift Music, Antiphonic Music, re-release, The Other Perspectuve Media, The Orchard, Amazon.com)
* the gallery of light (2009 poetry with music CD, The Other Perspective Media, limited edition as a free gift)
* renegade of hope (2009 spoken word CD, The Other Perspective Media, The Orchard, Amazon.com, iTunes)
* outlaw of love (2010 spoken word CD, The Other Perspective Media, The Orchard, Amazon.com, iTunes)
* Beyond Babylon (2013 poetry with music CD, The Other Perspective Media, The Orchard, Amazon.com, iTunes)
* hysteria (2003 anthology of poetry and visual art, benefit for MADRE, Luna Sea Press)
* Divine Intervention (2007 book of true stories, Xulon Press)
* Divine Intervention (2014 book of true stories of God's miracles today, Charisma House)
* The Scriptures (2014 CD/download to help foster peace in Holy Land and a benefit for Love Hope Strength) This recording is a Guiness World Record Holder for 'Longest Officially Released Song Of All Time.'
Poetry For Charities/Social Work/Justice Organizations
* Long Island Cares (1991, 1992, Hauppauge, NY)
* Ukraine Missions Trip (1992, Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle, NY)
* Love And Mercy Church (1994- Present, annual Thanksgiving Dinner for Homeless People, Bay Shore, NY)
* Island Manor (1996- 1998, Rest Home for the Elderly, Ronkonkoma, NY)
* Teen Challenge (1998, Amityville, NY)
* Jubilee 2000/USA/International (2000- Present, Board Of Trustees NY)
* Families of World Trade Center (September 16, 2001, Union Square, NY, November 11, 2001, Arlenes Grocery, NY)
* Jubilee USA/International, Witness, Amnesty International, Compassion International, Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund, Voice Of The Martyrs (July 2003- Lollapalooza Tour)
* Larry Norman Emergency Healthcare Trust Fund/Michael Norman Trust Fund (2004- Present)
* Love Hope Strength (2006- Present, USA, UK)
* The One Organization (2006, International)
* Walt Whitman Birthplace Association, New York State Historic Site (2005- 2007, Board Of Trustees, Huntington, NY)
* Wings As Eagles (2010- Present, South Dakota)
* Occupy Wall Street (October 2011, New York City, NY)
* March Against Monsanto (May 2014)
* Mike Peters of The Alarm (1998 Into The 21st Century CD)
* Allen Ginsberg (1998 Into The 21st Century CD)
*Steven Delopoulos of Burlap To Cashmere (2013 Beyond Babylon CD)
*Blackhouse (2013 Beyond Babylon CD)
* Klayton, Celldweller, Circle Of Dust (1991 recording The Poet's Eye)
* Daniel Berrigan
* Larry Norman
* Burlap To Cashmere
* Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil
Quotes About Billy Lamont
From strobe light generation Book
* Daniel Berrigan, "Thank you for the delightful book. You (Billy Lamont) are a rare bird indeed, and a dazzling one, bringing together as you do unassailable gifts and a phoenix (out of the culture’s ashes) faith. I congratulate and thank you. Blessings on your fine work!" Daniel Berrigan is a Jesuit Priest, legendary Poet/Activist and speaker on social justice issues.
* Seydina A. Senghor, "I've been an eyewitness of Billy Lamont's warm-hearted dedication to durable peace in the world, international morality, global solidarity and global justice. I have seen Billy Lamont take serious risks to support many good causes including the Jubilee 2000 International Campaign, a global alliance for the end of the unjust, immoral and genocidal debt of the nations of the global South. At the Knitting Factory in 1999, in New York, Billy put together a show with Larry Norman and himself for the benefit of Jubilee USA's first National Mobilization on Washington. Billy Lamont is a true activist. Whether he is protesting, serving or encouraging, his poetry and deeds are songs of hope, a catalyst for change that reveal a grassroots heart of caring and love for people from the streets of New York to the poor and impoverished of the world." Seydina A. Senghor is a Co-Founder of the Jubilee 2000 USA/International Movement.
* Peter Garrett, "Billy Lamont’s pithy, ‘now’ poetry is true, from his heart to ours- a straight line and a truth that’s good to read. I wish there was more like it." Peter Garrett was the front man from the rock band Midnight Oil and is Australia's Federal Member for Kingsford Smith, Minister for Environment Protection, Heritage and the Arts.
* Larry Norman, "Young William the poet walks with grace among the literary traditions of romanticism, between yearning idealism and stark urban reality. He brings Heaven closer to Earth, and beckons men closer to self revelation. His poetry is both comforting and disturbing." Larry Norman is the Father of Christian Rock. He is a singer/songwriter that was on Capitol Records with The Beatles, Co-Founder of The Vineyard Church, helped form Jew For Jesus and is a Gospel Hall of Fame Inductee.
From The Gallery Of Light Book
* Joe Franklin, "In the tradition of Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith and Jim Carroll comes Billy Lamont... and I love it!" Joe Franklin was the Host of the nationally syndicated Joe Franklin Show recorded for WOR-TV, NY.
* Dave Kendall, "Billy Lamont is in possession of a strange and compelling vision." Dave Kendall was the Host of MTV's 120 Minutes show.
* Mike Peters, "There's no truth like the truth you dare to let yourself see. Billy's poetry lets you see the truth of himself and the truth that surrounds him which is also the truth that surrounds you. Take a look and you will find love, hate, all life in it." Mike Peters is a singer/songwriter for the rock band The Alarm and Co-Founder of Love Hope Strength Organization for those fighting cancer.
* Klayton, "Billy's poetry is intriguing. He is experimental, philosophical and spiritual. His message of hope cannot be ignored."Klayton is a recording artist first with the industrial music band Circle Of Dust and now Celldweller.
* *Additional Quotes from both books on Honorable Mentions page of Poet Billy Lamont's official website: http://www.billylamont.com
* The Phantom Tollbooth Into The 21st Century Pick Of The Month CD review : http://www.tollbooth.org/review99/lamont.html
* The Phantom Tollbooth Into The 21st Century CD one of Jim Laverty's Picks Of The Year: http://www.tollbooth.org/review99/picksoftheyear.html
* HM Magazine exclusive interview 2004: http://www.hmmagazine.com/exclusive/poet_billy_lamont_qa200408/index.php/
* HM Magazine Cornerstone Festival 2004 performance review: http://www.hmmagazine.com/exclusive/cornerstone_2004_review200407/index.php?page=2/
* The Phantom Tollbooth strobe light generation Book Review: http://www.tollbooth.org/2006/books/lamont.html
* Video of Poet Billy Lamont on Joe Franklin Show 1991: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Poet+Billy+Lamont%2C+Joe+Franklin+SHow&aq=f
* Video of Poet Billy Lamont on MTV's Most Wanted show 1994: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Poet+Billy+Lamont%2C+MTV&aq=f
* Video of Poet Billy Lamont on Much Music Televsion 1999: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Poet+Billy+Lamont%2C+MUCH+Music+&aq=f
* Video of Poet Billy Lamont Long Island Cares Charity Events in 1991 and 1992: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Poet+Billy+Lamont%2C+Long+Island+Cares+1990+1991&aq=f
* Video of Poet Billy Lamont on Ukraine Missions trip in 1992: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Poet+Billy+Lamont%2C+Ukraine+1992&aq=f
* Video of Poet Billy Lamont booksignings at B. Dalton Booksellers, Waldenbooks and Book Revue: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Poet+Billy+Lamont%2C+Book+Signings%2C+documentary&aq=f
* Poet Billy Lamont (Board of Trustees Member) recites at Walt Whitman Birthplace, New York Times Calendar: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E0DE1531F932A25755C0A9609C8B63
* Poet Billy Lamont (recites on behalf of Jubilee 2000) at UN Millenium Summit: http://archives.lists.indymedia.org/imc-nyc/2000-September/000462.html
* Poet Billy Lamont (preformer/organizer) at The Knitting Factory event for Jubilee 2000: http://www.nypress.com/article-1344-rock-n-roll____rock-n-roll__arlene-grocery__95-stanton-st-(betw-ludlow-.html
* Poet Billy Lamont (performer/organizer) at Arlene Grocery event for a World Trade Cebnter Tragedy family.- http://www.nypress.com/print-article-5035-print.html
* Billy Lamont interview on "Divine Intervention" show in April 2008: http://divineintervention.typepad.com/divine_intervention/2008/04/episode-7-inter.html
* Poet Billy Lamont St Marks Poetry Project New Year's Day Poetry Marathon: http://gleefarm.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html
* Official Poet Billy Lamont Website: http://www.billylamont.com
Poet Billy Lamont is on facebook at: www.facebook.com/poetbillylamont, myspace at: www.myspace.com/poetbillylamont, and twitter at: www.twitter.com/poetbillylamont. Video footage is available for viewing on www.youtube.com.
Contact Poet Billy Lamont: c/o The Other Perspective Media, P.O. Box 37, Babylon, NY 11702. 631-981-4780, www.billylamont.com,
Poet Billy Lamont Books and CD's are available through: www.amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and iTunes.com.
Poet Billy Lamont, c/o The Other Perspective Media, P.O. Box 37, Babylon, NY 11702, Telephone: 631-981-4780, Email:
Internationally acclaimed New York Poet Billy Lamont has performed on MTV and Much Music Television and appeared on major radio stations across the United States. Lamont has also performed at many major rock festivals including touring with Lollapalooza '94, '95, 2003 and Cornerstone Festival 2004 and 2006.
Billy Lamont's new CD entitled outlaw of love is spoken word poems celebrating freedom and was recorded the 4th of July weekend 2010. outlaw of love was released on Lamont's new The Other Perspective Media label and is hot on the heels of the renegade of hope CD of spoken word activism pieces released in December 2009. Lamont's poetry with folk music CD Hedge Of Thorns, with songwriter Bill Poulos, was released on Easter Sunday 2008. These CD's are available through billylamont.com and their international digital release is by The Orchard at theorchard.com, Amazon.com and iTunes.com.
Billy Lamont's latest book of poems strobe light generation from Infinity Publishing is available at barnesandnoble.com and Amazon.com. Lamont's influential, signature post modern artistry is at its best within this book. His is a voice crying out in the wilderness of pop culture. strobe light generation's message of hope shines brightly in this fast paced age of consumerism, quick fix spirituality, sensationalism in the press and reality television.
In response to the success of his first above ground book of poetry,The Gallery Of Light, Lamont has given many book signings in shopping malls at such major book stores as Barnes and Noble and Waldenbooks. The Gallery Of Light is distributed in the U.S. by Ingram. and is available internationally at barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com.
Lamont's first CD Into The 21st Century was released in 1998 as a benefit for Teen Challenge and includes the late Allen Ginsberg reciting from his legendary poem Howl on the title track. In Mr. Ginsberg's last years he showed love, respect and encouragement to Lamont's artwork through this appearance. Mike Peters of The Alarm, one of Lamont's biggest artistic influences, also collaborated on the title track as a special guest. This critically acclaimed CD was produced by National Post Modern Publishing and is distributed by The Orchard at theorchard.com and available internationally and digitally at Amazon.com and iTunes.com.
In 2004, Lamont's second CD/chapbook entitled billy lamont with the peculiar people was released as a benefit for the Father of Christian Rock Larry Norman's Emergency Healthcare Trust Fund. The 2011 re-release is for his son Michael Norman’s Trust Fund. The late Larry Norman produced some recordings for Lamont and was backing him by having him perform at some of his shows. Norman intended to release a new Poet Billy Lamont CD on his Solid Rock record label but the recordings were never completed when Norman’s health failed. the peculiar people was available through Flaming Fish Music and was on the label/distributors bestseller's list for new releases and dance and experimental electronic music. This CD is now available through billylamont.com and its international digital release is by The Orchard at theorchard.com, Amazon.com and iTunes.com.
Lamont performs spoken word alone or with musical accompaniment. He enjoys performing with various rock bands and doing special event recitals of his forty minute performance poem the gallery of light, which evolved out of his book of the same name. Lamont released a limited edition presentation of the gallery of light as a free gift in celebration of Jesus The Christ on Easter Sunday 2009. the gallery of light is a spoken word rock opera with Christopher "DJ Circuit" Kelly weaving ambient/electronic/world music soundscapes. This CD marked the first release of Lamont's new company The Other Perspective Media and was created to commemorate the groundbreaking live performances of the gallery of light from the summer of 1997 through February 2000 at the dawn of the 21st century. the gallery of light has inspired many major recording artists, as well as underground artists through the years. Lamont has performed the entire or sections of "the gallery of light" in the art gallery area of the Purple Door festival in Pennsylvania in 1999, 2000 and 2004 and at CBGB's 313/Underground Lounge in New York in 1998 and 2004 and also live on many radio stations.
Lamont has performed for live audiences of up to 10,000 people. Lamont's first national television performance/interview was on the Joe Franklin Show in 1991. His first nationally syndicated radio interview/performance was on the Religon And Rock program recorded at WBAB in 1988, in his hometown of Babylon, New York.
In 2000, Lamont was credited with being a catalyst for the New York region for Jubilee 2000, when the world’s biggest petition ever was gathered. Lamont organized and performed in a concert with the late Larry Norman at The Knitting Factory just prior to Jubilee 2000’s first national assembly in Washington D.C. At the Knitting Factory Lamont pleaded for a debt free start for impoverished nations so they could have food, water, healthcare, sanitation and education instead of paying off loans to the world's richest nations. This led to Lamont serving as a Board of Trustees member overseeing the New York area for the justice organization Jubilee USA International Movement over the last years.
Lamont was also on the Board Of Trustees for the Walt Whitman Birthplace Association, a New York State Historic Site on Long Island, from 2005- 2007 to help preserve the legacy of America's greatest Poet.
Another highlight for Lamont arrived in 2006 when he brought together the owners of an alternative radio station Radio X with Pastor Richard Anderson. This became the birth of WLIX , Long Island, New York’s first Christian FM radio network in 2007. WLIX- The Voice Of Hope is now one of Long Island’s largest commercial FM radio networks.
Also in 2006, Billy Lamont's poetry with electronic music CD entitled painkiller was released by Mannequin Oddio Media/KultureShift Music. painkiller is a collaboration with artists Heart Of Darkness and Mayfairgrin and is available through cdbaby.com and billylamont.com.
Lamont has also performed poetry recitals at the St. Marks Poetry Project’s New Year’s Day Marathon in 2007 as well as The Howl! Festival 2008, both in the East Village, New York City.